Two weeks ago, I posted the 5 best free antivirus that are available for download on the web because I felt compelled to write one as my friend’s computer (and data) suffered greatly because of a virus attack. This week, I find it appropriate to create a list of the 5 best free firewalls that you can download on the web to complete the overall protection you can get for your computer.
First of all, a firewall is a program that monitors the internet traffic from your computer, whether it is inbound or outbound. This helps to protect your computer and personal data from any attacks and intrusions. A firewall is basically designed to permit authorized communication while blocking unauthorized access. These access permissions are categorized by the program based on a set of rules and criteria. The truth is Windows itself has a built in firewall which is both practical and useful. However, many computer experts still don’t advise using it. Instead, many recommend using free third-party firewall programs that are not only easier to control, but also have other features, such as allowing you to make quick rule changes. The five firewalls listed below are completely free and works in the same ways as paid firewall programs.
1) Zone Alarm Firewall – this firewall was first released 11 years ago, making it one of the oldest as well as one of the most trusted free firewall programs. Zone alarm has a 2-way firewall and is capable of protecting your computer from intrusion by making your presence invisible to hackers. One of the best features this program has is its ability to detect hacker programs that are trying to impersonate good programs.
2) Comodo Firewall – this firewall is considered to be one of the best as well as one of the most popular free firewall programs in the market. In fact, users who require elevated protection find Comodo to be the best choice thanks to their proprietary Defense+ technology which helps protect you from different threat sources. There are many who even deem that the security performance of Comodo exceeds that of those pay products.
3) Outpost Firewall – this firewall program is created by Agnitum, a company that started developing firewall since the beginning. They offer both Pro versions as well as free versions, with the free version being good enough for the security needs of most average home users. Their firewall program is highly flexible, yet offers good protection that can block almost any kind of hack attack.
4) Online Armor Firewall – this firewall is a solid contender on the category of free firewalls. It has a unique feature that allows the user to run potentially risky applications as if they were under a limited user account.
5) PC Tools Firewall – this is a powerful personal free firewall that has an enhanced security verification which alerts users of potentially malicious behavior of programs. It relies on its library of programs that checks for digital signatures to decrease popup alert notices. It has normal and expert modes which can be useful for advanced and average users.
These days, firewall programs are as essential as antivirus programs because they provide your computer significant protection against intrusion, hacking, and any other type of attack. How you choose your firewall may simply be a matter of preference or requirement. However, it doesn’t matter what you choose – what matters is that your computer is equipped with one to ensure the protection of your computer as well as your personal data.
What do you think about this post? Please feel free to comment.
Also, please use the social media buttons below to share this post with your friends.
Thanks for stopping by!